Email hosting is essential for businesses; especially once your business starts to grow and add new members. Once you begin adding employees, an @gmail or @yahoo email address for everyone just isn’t going to cut it. You want to project a professional image in every aspect of your business, so we put together a list of the top 5 email hosting services that let you do just that.
How Does Email Hosting Work?
Email hosting allows you to essentially route emails coming to your business through a secure server. Similar to domain hosting, where a platform like Wix or WordPress lets you attach and host a custom domain on their server, email hosting lets you create a custom address (i.e. your business name) where you can receive emails.
Example of email hosting: Your server could be hosted by anyone (Google, Shaw, Telus), but rather than your address reading [email protected] or [email protected], the server name is replaced by your custom address (e.g. [email protected])
Email Hosting: Who Does It Best?
When it comes to Google, there really isn’t much the tech conglomerate isn’t good at, so it should be no surprise they’re at the top of this list. Super easy to use, Google’s email is also secure. Plus, Google offers plenty of integrated tools totally free of charge. Here are the details:
- Basic plan is $5 per user/month and includes 30GB storage
- Get unlimited storage for $10/month
- Google keeps everything on the cloud making collaborative work easy
- Integrates with your web browser (Chrome)
- Get Google Hangouts, Chat, Drive
Zoho is one of the names on this list that really does a lot as well. Great for small businesses that want to keep costs low just as they’re starting out, Zoho has an option for everyone. Plus they offer invoicing, accounting, and CRM software.
- Mail only plan is incredibly affordable at just $1 per user/month
- Standard plan offers 30GB storage and starts at $3 per user/month
- Standard plan includes access to Zoho Office, Zoho Drive and other tools
- Lets you tag colleagues in emails for easy reply
- Annual billing
If you’re just looking for the basics, Dreamhost can be a great option for you. One of the cheapest on our list, Dreamhost lets you use any domain name you own for your custom email address, even if it’s not currently attached to a website.
- Bargain email service at just $1.67 per user/month including 25GB of storage
- $1.99 per user/month if billed monthly vs. annually
- Can use an owned domain name without it being hosted on an actual website
- Nothing fancy, email only
Rackspace is a Microsoft partner which offers mainly email hosting, but as a result of their partnership with Microsoft, also offers users the ability to use Microsoft Exchange tools through their platform. Key details are:
- 25 GB mailbox storage for $2 per month
- Custom domain
- Email forwarding
- 50 MB attachments with basic plan
- Other plans offer more storage and Exchange tools
Owned and operated by Microsoft, Office365 is great for large organizations that use multiple Microsoft programs. It also integrates with Salesforce CRM if your company uses this software. Key details of their email hosting service are:
- Premium Plan gives you access to more than just email: including calendar, file storage (50GB of storage per user), and Microsoft Teams
- Cost is $12.50 per user per month, up to 300 users
- Email hosting alone starts at $4 per month
Plenty of Options
Though these are our top picks, this is just a small sampling of the email hosting services available to businesses. Email hosting has become a must-have in today’s digital age, and thanks to all of the companies offering it, you are sure to find the right one for your business’s needs.