Helcim is searching for a Software Engineering Manager to lead our software development team. Helcim is home to a large in-house team of passionate and talented software developers, and we’re looking for a leader to help this team continue to thrive and grow as the company moves into its next phase.
As the manager of our development team, you will be overseeing the development of multiple ongoing and new projects. We’re looking for an experienced individual with technical chops, but who can also channel their leadership skills to help team members navigate technical uncertainties, embolden the team’s confidence, and cultivate career growth among our junior developers. Helcim is a fast-paced, high-demand company, and managers must work well under pressure.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Recruiting and hiring exceptional talent to build a world-class software development team.
- Coaching junior engineers and developers to help them advance in their careers.
- Cultivating a culture of pragmatic engineering decision-making, understanding the need for both short-term workarounds and long-term solutions.
- Participating in critical technical design and product discussions with leaders from across the organization.
- Owning the success and failure of the development team.
- Taking responsibility for delivering quantifiable results on time.
- Ensuring that coding standards and secure software development practices are implemented across all code.
- Coordinating with the QA team to ensure that code changes are tested before release.
- Deploying products and updates to production safely and responsibly, with understanding and empathy of potential impacts to our merchants.
- Coordinating with executive teams on budgets, priorities, and deliverables.
- Bachelor's or technical degree in computer science, software engineering or equivalent.
- 3+ years of experience managing teams with 10+ developers.
- Strong technical background in developing web-based products, services, and platforms.
- Experience with service-based (micro-service) platform architecture.
- Experience with distributed version control systems, such as GIT.
- Experience leading, managing and building a team of talented software engineers.
- Experience recruiting and retaining great software teams.
- A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and self-motivation to learn and grow.
- A passion for mentoring developers and teaching colleagues.
- Ability to cultivate a sense of ownership, accountability, and urgency in the team.
Helcim is a payment processor that gives small and medium sized businesses a better way to accept debit and credit cards. Thousands of merchants across Canada and the US choose Helcim for their payment needs because of our excellent customer service and innovative software solutions. We ranked number 91 on the Globe and Mail’s 2019 list of Canada’s Top 400 Growing Companies, and we have big plans to redefine the payments industry. To accomplish this, we need a talented team of people who are passionate about working in fintech.
At Helcim we build teams of engaged, caring and intelligent people. In return we provide an environment where you’ll be excited to come to work each day and tackle challenges with your colleagues. As part of our team you’ll receive amazing benefits including a competitive salary, paid health benefits, stock options, and two weeks vacation time for your first year increasing to three weeks after your first anniversary with the company. You’ll also enjoy company provided snacks and team lunches to keep yourself fueled and the opportunity to recharge and connect with your team members at company social events.
We invest a lot of time and energy imagining and creating a company and culture that encourages discussion, the trade of ideas, and the execution of amazing products and services. We’re friendly and collaborative, working together to achieve big goals. If you want to join our team and feel you can contribute to the growth and success of our company - we want to hear from you!
How to Apply
Please e-mail a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com to be considered. Please address your cover letter to Helcim Human Resources.
Candidates must also be eligible to work in Canada.