Your Payments Partner, Not Just Your Provider
At Helcim, we think the decision to sign up for a merchant account should be a confident one. That’s why we offer straightforward packages that have everything you need to get started, post our rates clearly on our website, and guarantee our Cost+ margin for the life of your account. Our month-to-month accounts have no cancellation fees, meaning you never risk getting locked-in to a long term contract with a partner who doesn’t need to earn your business. No teaser or introductory rates, built-in hikes, cancellation fees or hidden charges. This is what allows us to stand apart from our competitors, and that’s the difference between a partner and a provider.
We sleep better at night knowing that our merchants receive reliable, honest service at a fair price.
Interchange+ (Cost+) pricing for credit card processing is the most transparent and affordable pricing model around, and it’s the only one we use at Helcim. Each account comes bundled with valuable Helcim technology, along with rates that are amongst the best in the industry.
No Cancellation Fees
We don’t believe in taking merchants hostage - our goal is to earn and build a long-term relationship with you. That’s why we have no cancellation fees. We’ll work hard to keep your business every day.
Amazing Customer Service
We’re here for you. The sole purpose for our highly trained and caring staff is to fix problems and help you understand what can be a very complicated industry. Work confidently knowing you’re backed by one of the best teams around.
How does it all work?
Getting a merchant account with Helcim is a straightforward process. First, fill out our online merchant application form. Once submitted, it typically takes 24 to 48 hours for our applications team to review and approve your merchant account. While your application is processed, your Commerce account will be active – you can start setting up your invoices, products, themes, online store, and all manner of things for your business.
We’ll let you know when your account is approved, at which point you’re ready to start processing payments. Your transactions are settled daily and you’ll see your funds in your bank account within 1-2 business days. That’s it!
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the application take?
New applications are approved on average within 24 to 48 hours. Equipment is deployed via FedEx or UPS.
What documents do I need to apply?
You need a void cheque for the bank account that will be receiving the funds and a copy of your business licence or business registration.
What factors are taken into account for the approval?
The main factors that will affect your application approval are your estimated monthly credit card processing volume, the average size of your transactions and your industry.
Is there a personal credit check?
As we offer a financial service, a basic credit check is performed on new applicants. If you have an established business (corporation) or a non-profit, this can be circumvented by providing financial statements for the business or organization. We are also one of the few processors that allow for co-signers.
Do I need to open a separate merchant account with my bank?
No. We provide the complete processing solution that includes a Visa and Mastercard merchant account registration.
What name is displayed on my customers credit card statements?
Only your business operating name will appear on their statement. This is known as your DBA (doing-business-as) or O/A (operating-as) name.
When are fees removed from my account?
We operate on a gross-billing cycle (unless a special request is made). Settled transactions will appear in your bank account in full and transactions fees for the processed funds are removed from the same bank account at the end of each month.
What happens in the event of a chargeback?
You will receive a notice by mail or email of the chargeback and a 30-day window to provide a rebuttal to the customer's issuing bank.
How long do refunds take to process?
Refunds are processed in real-time and settled with the rest of your transactions. The customer's credit card bank can take up to 10-days to display the refund on the customer's statement.
Are there any prohibited merchants?
Below is a list of industries that cannot be approved for merchant account. This list is for informational purposes only and does not represent a guaranteed approval for businesses outside of these industries. All new applicants are subject to conditions and approval of the application by Helcim and its partnering banks as well as ongoing reviews after approval.
This list is subject to change without notice as Helcim, card-brands and partner banks manage ongoing changes in risks, regulations, local and federal laws. All of Helcim's merchants must operate according to each card brand's policies and within Canadian and US laws and the laws of their operating regions. If you are unsure whether your business falls within our prohibited merchant list, please contact us.
- Collection agencies, credit restoration agencies and agencies specializing in the refinancing of debt.
- Bankruptcy lawyers.
- Debt resolution companies.
- Protection services, including registration services against identify theft, internet fraud, card theft or fraud.
- Payment aggregators or facilitators (merchants that process payments on behalf of other businesses).
- Money transfer services.
- Bitcoin and other virtual currency dealers.
- Shell banks and bearer shares.
- Investment services (merchants who buy, sell and broker securities and stocks).
- Payday lenders and auto title lenders.
- Fortune telling, including tarot card readers and mystics.
- For-profit adoption agencies.
- Personal life coaching services.
- Game console circumvention devices.
- Remote technical support providers (without 2 years’ of established processing history).
- SEO services and packages (where SEO services are specifically advertised).
- Adult entertainment, escort services and sexual encounter firms.
- Child pornography, including terminology such as "lolita", "pedo" and "preteen".
- Internet gambling.
- Telemarketing firms.
- Multi-level marketing (MLM) and pyramid schemes.
- Counterfeit goods.
- Discount travel clubs or travel related direct marketing arrangement services.
- Penny auctions.
Medical & Drugs
- Online pharmacies without VIPPS or CIPA certification.
- Drug paraphernalia retailers.
- Online/MOTO tobacco and nicotine product sales. (retail allowed)
- Telemedicine, including Skype-link services with prescription issuance.
- Wonder drugs.
- Banned dietary supplements by the FDA.
- Chemicals and compounds used for the purpose of getting high.
- Any illegal activity.
- Online/MOTO guns and firearms sales. (excluding accessories)
- Merchants with a delayed delivery greater than one year.